The marathon hangover

We’ve all had one. The hangover from some epic/awesome experience in our lives. Be it a wild night of partying, an amazing weekend or vacation, or the high comin’ off a glorious marathon.

Symptoms include: headache, dehydration, nostalgia, lack of motivation, and weight gain.

Most ‘hangovers’ hit hard right away and wane in a matter of days. But oh no, not this one.

IMG_4390
Running down Boylston and the final 400m of the Boston Marathon (April 15, 2013)

It’s been 2 months since The Boston Marathon (time: where have you gone so quickly?!) and I’m still hungover.

Truth be told, I’ve been dabbling in running 2-3 times a week (opposed to the 6-8 times/60+ weekly miles I had been before). Mostly short stuff. Though I’m registered for two pretty rad events this summer (Aug 10: Georgetown to Idaho Springs 13.1 & Aug 24: Iron Girl Sprint Tri), my motivation to train could use some inspiration. I know I’ll get there though, because I’ve got one major post-marathon-hangover-symptom lingering in a bad way:

Weight gain.

Fellow marathoners, you know what I’m talkin’ about. The post-marathon weight gain that chews at your insecurities and body image. Let’s be real: it’s not awesome.

I stepped on the scale for the first time in two months today and saw a number 8 pounds higher than where I was before Boston. Yikes. It doesn’t matter what you weigh; you can feel 8 additional pounds. That’s just how it is.

I’m not one to stress about the number on a scale but 8lbs is enough to face the music. Usually, as long as I feel good on the inside, I feel good about my body. But these past two months? I’ve been turning a blind eye. Feeling less awesome on the inside. And that’s just the motivation I needed to get goin’ again.

I’m ready to get back to 5ish runs a week. I love running and I’ve been takin’ it easy long enough. I’m ready for hill climbs on the trails I love and getting lost on new ones.

The point of this blog post was to fess up (acceptance is the first step, right?), announce my game plan (keeping myself accountable), and rally the troops. Bloggers are a great community of motivators and I love reading about all your running adventures. So keep ’em coming, ok? Your active lifestyles inspire me!

Summer trail running is in full effect and I’d love to start blogging/tweeting/instagram‘ing more about my fun adventures, too.
Eforunner on social media

So cheers to a fresh start! (we’re cheers’ing with water, though, obvi.)

Hangover be gone!

1. CultFit says:

Have fun out on the trails!

2. Oh yes, I’m well aware of the ‘hangover’ ;-) Enjoy getting back into that groove!! I sure am enjoying my groove :-)

3. Gilbert says:

Ahh, I know this feeling. I’ve only run a half-dozen times since the race, my shoes are collecting dust in the corner, and my training log is emptier than a bachelor’s fridge. The hard part is that it’s self-reinforcing: the less I run, the harder it is to make myself run. This is just what I needed to get out and do it today. Thanks Erin!

4. misszippy1 says:

I know that feeling! But at the same time, the downtime is always good, both mentally and physically. I’m sure you’re going to have no problem once you get back into a groove. And can I come run those beautiful trails with you???

5. Emma says:

I ran the flying pig this May and a week later had bunion surgery. I am feeling so hungover because I didn’t get to truly let my body wind down and now I have no choice but to stay still!! I am walking now but all I want to do is run!! I totally feel (and see!) the weight gain and I just want to get moving!
    Good luck regaining your motivation!

6. I just got over my hangover this past week. I bet you’ll be surprised at how fast you will feel back on track. Give yourself a solid week or two of running and you will be feeling great again. I totally relate to where you are at though. Finally, I said enough is enough. I found eating right and getting back on track with running were both helpful to each other! Thanks for sharing and giving me some extra motivation.

7. runwithholly says:

I think it’s normal – and the more relaxed time is good for your brain, as well as your body. You’ll be back where you were in no time at all. For now, my inspiration for you is: 18 miler this past weekend. End-of-August marathon. Whoot!

8. Jenny says:

Oh man, I hear ya! I took 6 weeks to go through sloth mode and by the end of I felt exactly the way you did. I started running 5 times a week again two weeks ago and I already feel better. Have fun, Erin!