#12 (27 Before 27)

I’ve been keeping unfairly quiet on my blog about something rather huge: Weez is almost a Dr.! He’s less than 3 weeks away from defending his Ph.D.!
Weez in the hood

Did you know this guy was the first person I met in my research lab? Long before we started dating, he was my graduate student mentor – he showed me the chem grad school ropes.

6 years of hard work, ups and downs, group meetings, and research presentations will have led up to May 28th and frankly, I couldn’t be more proud of everything Weez has accomplished. Grad school isn’t just about smarts, it’s about being self-motivated, hard working, and having perseverance. All of which he has in earnest.

Weez truly has become an expert in his field. Case in point, his thesis title:

“Design and Synthesis of New Type-I Bicontinuous Cubic Lyotropic Liquid Crystal Monomers
Based on the Gemini Framework for Molecular-Size Separation Applications”

Getting a Ph.D. in Chemistry is not a joke. It’s failing qualifying exams but persevering and retaking them. It’s exceedingly difficult coursework followed by high research expectations. It’s (sometimes) dangerous reaction workups and thousands of experiments. It’s a long road, but one Weez (and myself) is so glad he pursued.

Other than last minute revisions, his thesis is mostly complete. I even got to check #12 off my list of 27 Before 27: Proofread Weez’s PhD Thesis. He’s a great scientific writer.

His paperwork is underway. He’s been interviewing for jobs. It’s a reality. This thing is really happening! He’s living proof there is light at the end of the arduous grad school tunnel.

Can’t wait to celebrate your big day, B. And to finally call you Dr. Weez!

1. Bear says:

Like a boss

2. misszippy1 says:

Wow–that’s just awesome! A huge congrats to him. Although tell him I could have written that thesis in my sleep. ; )

(read: quite possibly my favorite comment of all times)

3. Jessica says:

Holy guacamole!!! THAT’S HUGE!! Congrats Dr. Weez!!!!

4. Heidi Nicole says:

Oooh…yay Weez! And yay you for being awesome and proofing his paper! :)

5. kaitwatts says:

Congrats! I was just actually thinking about this the other day and how close he must be getting—closer than I thought! You two are rockstars and I have no idea what his thesis title means.

6. Holly KN says:

Science thesis titles are meant to be largely un-pronounceable by the general public. Adds to the mystery! :)

Seriously, though – massive congrats to him. A thesis is a pain in the tookie. And double kudos if he still wants to be in science once the whole thing is over…. (Whoops! Sorry. A bit of cynicism snuck out just there. ;) )

7. the dawn says:

congrats weez!!!! ummm, i can’t even understand that title, let alone the content. i can’t imagine the blood, sweat, and tears that goes into becoming a dr. of anything. good work!

8. AMAZING!!! That thesis title is greek to me… but that’s why he’s the expert! :) CONGRATS!!!!