So… I’m in Portugal!

Last week was an emotional one and I didn’t feel it appropriate or important to share that I had big travel plans coming up. That, and leading up to Boston, all I wanted to focus on was the race.

Months ago, long before booking my flight to Boston, I knew I had another traveling adventure on my plate: Portugal and Ireland!

I’m in my final year of graduate school and my advisor encouraged me to present my research at an academic conference (like the ones I participated in that brought me to Spain in 2011 and Singapore in 2012). I wrote up an abstract, applied, and was accepted (hooray!) to present my work on ionic liquid-based block copolymer membranes for carbon dioxide separations.

The conference is in Faro, Portugal! I really enjoy presenting research (and learning from others’ research!) and conferences are such a fun place to do just that. It’s only Day 1, but I’ve already learned a good deal and really enjoy the content being showcased.

Not to mention, it’s totally gorgeous here. I’m blown away. I’m currently writing this on my balcony overlooking a marina outlined by palm trees, what appear to be multimillion dollar yachts (e.g., this one has a hot tub on the top of its 3rd floor), the Atlantic Ocean, and the rolling hills of southern Portugal.

I went for a run this AM (first one since Boston) and took a few pictures with my phone. I wanted to share them with you guys. Here ya go! More to come later!

20130422-171313.jpg

20130422-171339.jpg

20130422-171351.jpg

20130422-171419.jpg

1. Wow! Running in Portugal sounds amazing! Enjoy!

2. Jessica says:

How gorgeous! Have fun at your conference :D

3. Heidi Nicole says:

That is beautiful, enjoy your time in another country and at the conference!

4. Lisa says:

What great adventures for you!! Enjoy every moment, since as we all know, things can change in the blink of an eye.

A couple of weeks ago, I went running at lunch at work. I noticed a funeral car procession coming towards me and I felt bad that I was running/living/etc when another was grieving. And that’s life….right there. It feels awkward and inappropriate, but life goes on around sad/bad things. We take a moment for them, maybe say a little prayer, but then we have to continue on.

Enjoy your trip!!!

5. misszippy1 says:

Sorry it has taken me so long to comment since Boston…I had to unplug from it all last week. I’m so sorry you had to go through all that you did in Boston. But I am glad that you get a bit of a diversion now with Portugal. I have always heard great things about it–I’m sure you’ll love every minute of it!

6. Morgan says:

You just gave me a heart attach because I read… So… I’m pregnant! at first glance! LOL! I hope you’re having fun!!!

7. Colorado Gal says:

Ionic liquid-based what?! Girl, you lost me ions :) Seriously though, so glad you get to go on such a great trip like this with your work/school. What an awesome experience! I never made it to Portugal when I lived in Spain and I still really regret it– I’ve heard it’s beautiful!

8. Holly KN says:

Whoa! And kudos to your boss for encouraging (and funding…) so many international academic adventures. Enjoy! :)

9. kaitwatts says:

Hey great job presenting! Although what you are presenting is way totally over my head! Once again you are a rockstar!

10. Jenny says:

ahhhh! That’s awesome! I was so curious. Hope you’re having a good time even if you are there for work. Enjoy!

11. the dawn says:

That’s so awesome! Probably really good timing to get away from normal life for a few days. Have fun and stay safe.

12. amazing!! i love your travels!! :)