My Boston Marathon Goals!

The range of emotions I’ve felt over the past few days? Holy smokes. From getting so nervous I couldn’t sleep at night, to finding perspective and feeling pretty darn nonchalant about it all. I’ve covered the whole spectrum.

I’m at a much better place today. I’m getting really, really excited!! :)

Though the nerves will inevitably come back, I’m feeling confident and so thankful for such a great training cycle. The reality of just how plain COOL this marathon will be is sinking in. Regardless of finishing time, running THE Boston Marathon is such a dream and I’m stoked beyond words to get to run it!

For past marathons, I’ve enjoyed looking back at my goal posts to gauge where I was at, mentally and physically. So for the past couple of weeks, I’ve tossed around some goals and expectations for myself, and here they are:

A-Goal: Sub 3:20. Yes, this terrifies me. No, I’m not sure I can pull it off. But I’ll be damned if I don’t run my legs off to try and chase after it. They say if your goals don’t scare you, you’re not setting them high enough.

B-Goal: Sub 3:30. This would be a stellar PR for me! My marathon PR is 3:31 from my last 26.2: 2011 CIM.

Expectation #1: execute the plan. I’ve talked pace and gameday plan with SamTheMan, and I’m feeling as prepared as I can be. Sam told me to expect to run longer than 26.2 because of all the runners and curves (at least an extra 0.5 mile), so I’ve factored that into race pace. He’s such a great ‘coach’ and I can’t thank him enough for his answers to my silly, endless questions.

Expectation #2: have FUN. Don’t take it all so seriously. Keep perspective. Running is a hobby, and racing is the wonderful reward – the cherry on top – at the end of a training cycle. At the end of the day, I’m a runner for life, and whether I run 3:30 or 5:30, it’s all gravy, baby :)

Life is so good.

Running is a blast.

Boston, I’m comin’ for you!

1. You are wicked fast! I am sure you are already aware of that ;-) Enjoy the 26.2 joyride. You are SO ready!

Good luck!! :-) :-)

2. Sam says:

You got this. Trust me. #thatisall

3. Enjoy every moment, every step, soak in the experience, and run like the wind!

4. Jessica says:

I love this ” Running is a hobby, and racing is the wonderful reward ” <- totally needed this today as I push for THREE miles!! ahaha, and here you are pushing for 3 hours!! You can do this lady. Proud of you!! :D

5. CultFit says:

I’ll be writing tomorrow about a young lady who has been running in the Boston Marathon for 19+ years … My top tip to you today? Just smile :)

6. Those are GREAT goals! I believe in you and know you’ll get the race you’ve trained so hard for!

7. Colorado Gal says:

I am so excited for you—–GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!! It’s here!! You will be amazing!! I can’t wait to read about your incredible experience afterwards!! Enjoy every single moment!!

9. Heidi Nicole says:

So glad “have fun” is on your list! I’m really excited for you and your race! Happy almost race day! :)

10. I bet you reach your goal. There is so much energy on the entire course that it will endlessly recharge your fading batteries. Be prepared for screaming crowds 10 people deep that are all cheering you on. If you can get your name on yourself somehow (written on your arm or leg or shirt) people will call you by name and urge you on to reach your goals. Good luck!

11. Lisa says:

Boston’s ready for you!!! Go own that crazy course and soak in everything you worked so hard for :)

12. mallory says:

Tracking you right now…. girl you’re gonna hit your goal!!! Eeeeeee!!!

13. Ashley Nichols says:

Nice job!!! Sub 3:30 – you owned it!

14. Way to go girl!! You OWNED it!! So proud of you!

15. mallory says:

I hope you’re okay!

16. Melon says:

Erin and Brian are both safe!

17. stacy says:

Hello Erin-We have already checked in with Rick and Sherrie. Glad you are safe. Glad you ran so fast. And so sad for everything. Stacy and Bill.

ps. now I am pissed off at those who ruined the day. Will try and qualify again to prove they can’t stop us and prove me qualifying wasn’t a fluke:)