3 20+ milers: how have they stacked up?

We’re on the homestretch!

I completed my third (and final!) 20+ mile LR in my Boston training cycle! It went really well: 22 miles in 2:49 (avg 7:41 pace). I’m a “run how you feel” kind of runner, especially for the LRs, and my legs just felt good. The effort didn’t feel any harder or faster than any other day’s run. I fueled with 3 GUs and carried my water belt; I had great music; the Boulder Creek Path was paved of its snow. I just cruised along.

Compared to prior marathons, I’ve genuinely committed 100% to my training, and I think it’s showing. There have been serious adjustments:
– Previous marathon training cycles: 2-4 runs a week, averaging 20-30ish miles
– This training cycle: 6-8 runs a week, averaging 50-68 miles

Reflecting back on the execution of each of my 3 20+ milers, I’ve gained a positive dose of personal confidence in my legs and training. It’s interesting to look back at elevation profiles and the stats from each of the 20+’ers…

Long Run #1: 20 miles in 2:44hrs. Average pace = 8:12.

20 miler #1
LR #1

Long Run #2: 20.5 miles in 2:46hrs. Average pace = 8:06.

#2
LR #2

Long Run #3: 22 miles in 2:49hrs. Average pace = 7:41.

22 miler
LR #3

I’m really happy with the progression in effort. I haven’t had any GI/stomach issues, as I’ve stuck to the same fueling plan as I used to: eat 1 GU every 6 miles, followed by a few ounces of water. Confession: these 3 have been the only runs I’ve taken fuel on during this entire training cycle. Anything less than 18 miles, I practiced glycogen depletion. One of my running mentors supported the idea, so I decided to give it a go after her advice. And it worked out great all training cycle.

And now? Now it’s taper time! Holy smokes! We made it!

1. misszippy1 says:

Wow–awesome, amazing final run pace!! You are SO ready to rock it. Very happy the depletion runs worked out for you, too. Can’t wait to follow you in Beantown!

2. OMG! You are a BEAST!!! That is so amazing! Glycogen Depletion sounds interesting… I just decided that I have to eat before I run (measly 5 and 6 miles) – going to look into this when I get home!

3. Bear says:

Bear comment. Token.

4. kaitwatts says:

Rockstar! Awesome that you not only stuck to the training plan but increased your results. Great work girl!

5. great post, efo! (yes you will always be efo!) i was hoping i wouldn’t have to wait a full week to read about your smokin’ long run!

i think that’s really cool that you didn’t fuel on your runs until over 18 miles. i know that will definitely help you use your energy efficiently in boston!

6. Heidi Nicole says:

You are doing amazing…that is some great progress in your 20+’ers! I am seriously excited for you to run Boston, I might actually follow the race this year!!

7. Holly KN says:

You are hard core, girl. You’ve really done your “homework” for this one…looking fantastic. Hope everything else aligns for this to pay off on race day. For now, enjoy the reduced mileage, prop your feet up (do grad students EVER do this…unless they’re reading a paper?), stay healthy…and try to enjoy the taper!!

PS Love this comparative data, as any true data nerd would!! Only thing I’d like to see…total feet of climbing on each run…? =)

Thanks, Holly! My GPS watch said that each of the 3 runs had 1800-2100ft of total elevation gain. Which sounds like way too much/maybe a mistake with the watch, so I didn’t want to highlight that info in the post.

1. runwithholly says:

Gotcha. It’s true – the Garmin’s don’t do that well with elevation. [Back in Rochester, if a group of us went trail running, our total distance would be withing 0.1 miles, but elevation could be 100s of feet different.] Just curious about how elevation/lack thereof could have affected pace – but I’m figuring you deemed all the routes pretty equal, in that regard.

8. Colorado Gal says:

Girl, you are hauling! A 7:41 pace for a 22 miler is just bananas to me :) You’re gonna kill it!