Race Recap: 2012 Panerathon 5K

Thanks to Heather, I won a free entry to this local 5K. I absolutely love Panera (best post-race food ever), and I love racing 5Ks, so this was a win-win all around. The added bonus was that I got to meet up and chat with the nicest Heidi before and after the race.

I dragged her to the front of the start with me so we could chat more before the gun went off :)

The course was great. We ran through a cute outdoor mall/town center type area, then out onto some trails/bike paths. A handful of hairpin turns, a bit on gravel, and an uphill finish, but otherwise a flat and fast course.

I love racing 5Ks because they’re uncomfortable but short lived, so all ya gotta do is run all out and try to hang in there. Which of course, I didn’t do such a great job on this race. Haha. My splits slowed each mile (6:30 to 6:45 to 7:something), but what are ya gonna do. I’ll keep working on my consistency.

The finish line was on a nice straightaway, so I was able to kick it into high-gear/sprint-mode, which is always fun. Nothin’ like a solid, all-out sprint to end a race. Weez was cameraman extraordinaire.

Official Results:
5K = 21:11 (6:50 pace)
2nd female overall/2nd AG

The Panera post-race food was off the hook (legit sandwiches and bagels and cookies and pastries galore). I said bye and congrats to Heidi, then Weez and I went out to breakfast with my brother and his friend who’s in town visiting. I stuffed myself with delicious Panera food after the race, so don’t make fun of my tiny plate of hashbrowns at breakfast.

Thanks again to Heather for the race entry. And thank you to the volunteers and race director, who put on a smooth racing experience! I’d love to run this again next year! What a blast!

One day – I will race a 5k that you are in and you will beat me by 20 minutes but I don’t care it’ll still be fun and I’d get to meet you and your awesome self and then it’ll be ME having fun with you at the start line! :D

Yes! That would be so so so awesome :)

2. kaitwatts says:

Sweet race and congrats on 2nd overall. My sister did that race yesterday too-with her hubby and the red head in the BoB. Good way to keep the legs fresh for next weekend’s half!

I didn’t know your sis ran it, that’s great! Congrats on your mtn bike race… only 6 more days till we get to hang out at the start of the Equinox half together!

3. Yay! I’m so glad it went well and that you had fun :) By the way, you are so FREAKING FAST! :)

let’s run a race together sometime! :)

4. That’s awesome!!! What a great race!

5. Heidi Nicole says:

You are crazy pants fast…and I’m so glad I finally got to meet you! You made me run faster than I was planning so I’ll take it! :)

6. Corrie Anne says:

Fun! That looked like a great race. I kind of hate 5ks.. I need a few warmup miles. But I always have fun when I do them, I guess!