I loved being 25, I loved how I’ve continued to grow, I love who I am. And I feel pretty darn lucky to say that. I love my parents everyday, but I love them even more on my birthdays, because I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for them. They gave me my roots, then gave me wings to soar.
While 25, I experienced the best day of my life, adopted the cutest puppy in the world, ran in a 200 mile relay, traveled to Sitges & Barcelona & Cabo San Lucas & Austin TX & Madison WI & Cambodia & Malaysia & Singapore, BQ’d at CIM, saw the president speak live, presented research (twice!) at academic conferences, raced four 5Ks; one trail half marathon; two marathons, submitted 3 peer-reviewed papers, and hiked so many beautiful trails. Also while 25, Weez and I lost two very dear family members. Their deaths still affect me, and I think about them all the time. They are loved and missed.
I’m thankful for all the wonderful highs that 25 gave me, and appreciative of the personal growth I gained from the lows. I’m happy about the accomplishments I checked off my 26 before 26.
With a new year, comes a new list!
As my dad says, “when you’re green you’re growing, when you’re ripe you’re rotting!” I don’t ever want to stop setting more goals, dreaming more dreams. Life is yours for the taking. And every birthday, I like to remind myself that with a new list… and here it is!
1. Attend my best friend’s wedding
2. Get my palm read
3. Write (or start writing) my PhD thesis
4. Hike another 14er
5. Get redemption at the Boston Marathon
6. Attend Weez’s best friend’s wedding
7. Go on a safari
8. Start the hunt for my first professional job
9. Experience authentic Kansas City BBQ
10. Celebrate our 1-year anniversary
11. Convince my parents to move to Colorado (this will be on my list every year until it happens)
12. Proof read Weez’s PhD thesis
13. Take a cooking class
14. Mentor a new graduate student
15. Celebrate Weez’s 30th birthday
16. Call Weez “Dr.” for the first time
17. Take a new fitness class at the rec center
18. Travel to another foreign country Kenya Portugal Ireland
19. Visit the St. Louis arch
20. Ride my bike to Ft. Collins and back
20. Save $4-digits
21. Spend Christmas with my baby nephew (and family)
22. Surprise someone with a thoughtful gift
23. Run the Neder Nederland
24. Mail in a Post Secret
25. Get rid of our chunky old TV, and finally invest in that sweet flatscreen we’ve been talking about
26. Do sit ups 5 times a week for 5 weeks
27. Celebrate my birthday in one of my favorite places: the mountains