Embracing the positive stuff

Raise your hand if you’ve ever beaten yourself up about your body image/weight?

I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a time when I cared about my body image. Not so much the number on a scale, but the way I felt about my body. I compared my body to others, and wished I was thinner or had better abs. Then I’d step on the scale and sigh, because the number would reinforce the emotions I was feeling. I’ll never be as skinny as her. I’ll never have a 6-pack.

I’ve definitely judged and criticized my body. And wished it was different in one way or another.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realizing something. A lot of girls feel the same way as me: unsatisfied with their bodies. Girls who were way skinnier than me. Girls with way better abs. Girls with defined arms.

There are two particular girl friends of mine that come to mind, who I really admire and think probably have the most fit bodies I know. And over the course of the past few weeks, they’ve both mentioned insecurities with their body image.

What?!?

Why do we all beat ourselves up about our bods? Why can’t being active be enough?

Enough with the negativity towards our bodies. Enough with the judging. And wishing.

We either choose to criticize and wish we have better bodies, or we choose to be active and eat well and embrace the bodies we earn.

I choose the latter :)

I do have a good body. I am thankful for the physical traits I’ve inherited. I’ll always be surrounded by skinnier girls with flatter abs, but who cares?! I’m happy with my body. I feed it well and workout with regularity.

And that’s the stuff that matters: healthy nutrition, active lifestyles, positive mental well-being.

So I encourage all the girls out there who give themselves a hard time about their bodies, to stop. And join me in embracing the positive stuff about our heathy lifestyles. It’s really quite nice :)

1. Agreed! What’s important is that you’re fit, healthy and happy! Because someone somewhere is probably just as envious of your body as you are of someone else’s! For me, its about being proud of the work I’ve done, and how far I’ve come. I may not have amazing abs, but I’m certainly able to run farther than I ever thought I could.

If I could facebook “like” this comment, I totally would :)

2. misszippy1 says:

You’re so right. I have two amazingly fit, lean friends who border on eating disorders b/c they just can never believe they are good enough. It’s sad. I’m not perfect, but I do know my body can do amazing things, things I have worked hard for, and that makes me proud of it!

It’s taken me a long time to be okay with the body I was given. Even after losing 20 pounds last year, I was still a size 10. I was just made bigger! That’s ok! I can still run a 5k with the best of them ;)

4. rickisham says:

Sweet Erin, I understand your concerns about body image and want to respond to you on a spiritual level. You have it all! Young, beautiful, smart and fit. As I have grown older (as in old enough to be your mom) I see beauty and fitness in a different way. I have a friend with MS who has been confined to a wheelchair for 30 years. She has use of one hand. Her only “fit” part is her mind and she studies and ponders and challenges me on an intellectual level at every encounter. I have been a nurse for 30 years and have helped obese people with hearts of gold who have loved and helped everyone in their paths. I want a healthier body and you are are an amazing role model for me. You aspire to be better in every aspect of your life and I commend that. I believe that the greatest beauties in the world are those that stop to help and encourage others along their ways. So you are beautiful in that way, too. Have a great ride to Fort Collins tomorrow. Rick’s & my cross country journey starts tomorrow. First blog tomorrow night. You are beautiful. Sherrie

Sherrie, this comment warmed my heart. I’ve always loved our intellectual conversations over delicious dinner parties, or quick lattes in local bookstores :) I’m so lucky to consider you family. Love you guys and I’ll definitely be following along on your and Rick’s cross country journey! Best of luck!

5. mebby says:

Pump some iron! Flex when you lift anything! Check yourself out in the mirror! Love you.