Race Report: 2012 Heart Throb 5K

On a very, very chilly (10*F) and snowy morning, Weez and I drove down to Arvada, CO to volunteer/run the Heart Throb 5K. Weez volunteered because he’s still slowly returning to running after his injury, and I raced it.

It was bitter cold before/during/after the race. My hands and toes were numb to the point of pain and my feet felt funny in my shoes. I warmed up for 20 minutes before the start, chatted with a local runner friend Bret who came out to spectate, then made my way to the small start (I bet there were only 150-200 runners). I love small, local races. Good vibes.

I pinned my “Running For Sherry” bib to my shirt, and spent a moment of silence thinking about the runner/wife/mother/teacher who went out for her morning run on Jan. 7 and never came home. I thought about her children and family and friends. I even saw another lady wearing a “Running For Sherry” bib and we exchanged hellos and somber “I understand” head nods.

With a short countdown, the gun went off and the race started. Within 100m I counted I was the 5th girl out and my heart was racing. I told myself to calm down and settle into a sustainable pace.

Mile 1: 6:59 (I’m in the purple top/blue hat, 3 people back)
I didn’t look at my watch for the other two mile splits because I was too busy trying not to slip and wipe out. The course, though plowed, was very icy and hard snow packed. I had to slow waaaaay down to make the turns, and would surge on the straightaways to try to pick back up the pace.  I passed one of the gals in front of me and even one of the dudes (“chicked!“)
I felt really great the entire time. Pace felt hard but not out of control. Breathing was strained but I wasn’t gasping. I knew I was picking up the pace as the race went on. I think I negative-split each mile.
I came sprinting into the finish line with a big smile on my face! Thanks again to Bret for taking all those photos! It was great to see you!

5K = 21:24 (6:50 pace)

My goal was to break 22 minutes and I did! (In icy conditions at that!) I’m proud with my results, and looking forward to my next 5K (March 17).

Weez and I spent the rest of the morning touring Olde Town Arvada enjoying the free pint at Arvada Beer Company and the free wine tasting at Silver Vines Winery (they came along with the $25 race registration; what a deal!) and a delicious lunch.
What a great day!

Do you like small, local races or bigger races?
What’s the best schwag you’ve ever received with your race registration?

1. weezwiz says:

It’s good to see a post-race meal the size of your entire body!

You did amazing!! Props to you for racing in those icy conditions!

3. Beth says:

Congrats on the first of many exceeding-goals 5k’s! I get the feeling that times will be dropping quickly as your training gets into full gear and the snow melts :)

4. Lauren says:

um, you forgot to mention you came in first in your age group!!!!

1. Lisa says:

I was wondering what that outcome was! Congrats!

5. Heidi Nicole says:

Whoa! That is an amazing race, especially considering the conditions! Way to beat out the cold, ice and snow! You did awesome!

I usually prefer more local, smaller races over the massive ones and my best swag is the sweet pull over and jacket I’ve got from the Monster Dash half in Minneapolis! I fly back home for the jacket this year…I’m motivated by free stuff!

6. Nice job at the Heart Throb 5K! Great catching up with you and meeting Brian!

7. mallory says:

Great race, Erin! Looks tough with all that ice! I haven’t ever rally done a small race!

8. awesome awesome job! totally jealous that you take pretty good looking race photos too! :D

Congratulations!!! Way to kick butt! I can’t imagine running that fast especially with such icy conditions! You’re a rockstar!!

10. Liz says:

Congrats girl! I want to do some smaller races soon, but maybe not on ice :)

11. Holly says:

Nice work in tough conditions. I love a solid time in a race run under hot/cold/icy/monsooning conditions – it gives me confidence I’ll have a faster one when conditions improve. Congrats!

12. ddos vps says:

I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.|