What A Dream

When I got off my plane in snowy Denver late last night, I smiled and sleepily mumbled to myself “what a dream…”. Did that all seriously just happened? A whirlwind of a weekend – the best of weekends – and I wish I could relive it all over again. A weekend recap is in order.

I landed in Sacramento around noon on Saturday, where Sam and my best friend Niki were waiting for me. We dropped our bags off at our hotels and met up with another one of Sam’s friends for lunch. After lots and lots of laughs and a big lunch, we made our way to the Capital building to check out the finish line area.
Sacramento is gorgeous. It’s got the small town feel, palm trees everywhere, and everything is SO clean. I loved it.
Then we made our way to the expo. The expo was great. Super easy to pick up our bibs/race packets/etc. And Niki made this really cool sign for us which made me smile and nervous all at once, because yup, we were puttin’ it out there: our goal was to qualify for Boston. We (Sam and I) were gunnin’ for that sub 3:35 BQ.

After the expo, we said bye to Sam (as he is quite popular you know, with that whole Operation Jack thing :) so he had lots of other friends to meet up with), then Niki and I went back to our hotel to relax. I love Niki. She makes me laugh SO hard and it felt so great being with my best friend the day before the race, while I was all nervous and stuff. She put my mind at ease and it was wonderful catching up with her.

We had dinner at a delicious place called Blue Prynt (highly recommend), where I had the butternut squash ravioli with ratatouille. It was so good and just the pre-race meal I wanted. Of course we had to take a self-timer pic after our meal :)
Then it was early to bed because we had a 4AM wake up call! Good thing I got a solid night’s sleep, because when I woke up in the morning, I didn’t realize just how nervous I would be! We had an exciting but challenging day ahead of us :)

I’m just going to go ahead and spoil the suspense (since I know a lot of you lovely friends were able to track our status online/via twitter, so you already know the good news) : I PR’ed by 9 minutes and qualified for Boston! 3:31!

It was not an easy feat. Miles 15 and on were hard. Really hard. But I have Sam to thank for doing an amazing job pacing me and not letting me fall back when times got tough. We did it!

Look out for the marathon recap tomorrow!

1. Sam F. says:

Dig deep! You’re almost there! Come get some water! Snort, snort!

1. you are the meanest most awesome pacer in the world :) thanks for pushing me when i wanted to walk at mile 15. thanks for taunting me with the water bottle and all the math calculations after mile 21. haha. ps. snort snort! life points!

2. misszippy1 says:

SO great Erin! I am really, really happy for you. You worked very hard to get here and now can reap the rewards! Awesome job.

1. thanks amanda! you’ve always been so supportive and i really appreciate it! let’s hang out in Boston 2013, mkay? :)

3. Morgan says:

I CANNOT WAIT to hear every little detail! CONGRATS CHICA!!!!!!!!!!

1. thanks girl :) i was hurtin’ but every time we crossed one of the mats, Sam reminded me of all the lovely friends on twitter who’d be cheering us on. i was thinkin’ of you out there!

4. Candice says:

Congratulations on PR’ing and qualifying! That is amazing news!

1. Thanks Candice! i’m looking forward to taking time off distance running… 5k’s here I come (just like you!)

5. nicole says:

you are seriously amazing and make me want to get the urge to run a PR again!!! help me ok?? :) XOXO

1. tots! just gotta put your mind to it, and you’ll DO it! we should run the Operation Jack Satellite 6.1 Mile Run together (it’s on Dec 26th)! I’ll be in MI!

6. drinkdewine says:

Yay efo way proud of you! One of these days I’ll be running Boston with you!

1. Heck yah you will! Let’s get the whole Woo team out there! i miss you guys, tell becca i say hi!!

7. the dawn says:

eeeeeeee! i could not be more excited and jealous than i am right now!

1. :) let’s meet up like we were meant to meet up in 2011, in the 2013 race! doooooooo it. you got it!

8. Marty N says:

This is totally amazing to me. you go Sam.. I read on the internet that this race is one where people come from all around the world to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Marty

1. Thank you! Sam is my super hero pacer. He did a great job!

9. glad you had such a great weekend! you are incredible woman! :D

1. Thanks C! I’m tellin’ ya… after you finish doing all those insane 50 milers, come back to the marathons and you’ll be blazing fast! BQ’s will be a piece of cake for you! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You are officially Boston Bound!!!! WoohooO!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Thanks Maggie! Fingers crossed for 2013 registration :)

1. Sam says:

Fingers crossed? You’re nuts. You’re so in, it’s not even funny. If 3:31 doesn’t get you in, I’ll eat my shoes. I just hope I can get in shape to run a fast enough time to get in and join you. You’re silly. Now where in the heck is that race report?