Dear Friends,

It breaks my heart to type this – it feels like I’m still in shock , but – I won’t be running the Boston marathon on Monday. I won’t be getting on a plane to Boston this afternoon.  My heart is broken, every muscle in my legs yearned to run Boston on Monday, but there are important medical things in my life that need tending to.

Please forgive my hesitance to share full details, as my health situation is quite private, but I don’t want you to worry because I’m in good hands out here, so I’ll explain just a little.

Over the past few days, I was seen by several doctors for unusual lower abdominal/pelvic discomfort. It’s to my greatest shock to hear that the doctors found a large, abnormal “complex mass” behind my right ovary. It requires immediate surgery to be removed. I’ve been advised not only to lay low till the surgery, but also, to not fly.

Please don’t worry about me, I’m in great hands out here. Surgery was scheduled right away – so please understand if I don’t blog for the next week or so. My parents are flying out to support and be with me. Weez has been by my side throughout all the doc visits. The surgeon is confident in the procedure and I feel optimistic.

Though the initial shock of missing out on Boston weekend devastated me- something I’ve poured my heart and soul into, physically and emotionally since I BQ’d in May 2010 – I’ll be okay. There will be more Bostons. I will BQ again. I will eventually see all you lovely ladies that I was so badly looking forward to meeting up with. I have a friend picking up my goody bag, and gosh darn it, I’m going to wear that long sleeve. Maybe under another shirt if I’m out in public :P But I earned it.

Life is what happens when you’re not paying attention. I didn’t see this coming. Hell, the timing couldn’t be worse. But I’m blessed that the docs found the mass now, before flying/running. I’m blessed that the situation isn’t worse. I’m blessed to have my friends and family’s support. Thank God for modern technology.

So to all my dear friends going to Boston this weekend, run like hell and/or cheer extra loud for me. Scream “woop woop woop!”. I’ll be with you in spirit. I’ll be cheering for you from Colorado,
~Erin

1. littlechick says:

I’m so sorry to hear your news!!! I will be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts. :)

2. Shanon says:

Oh, Erin! So sorry! You have such a great spirit and seem to be looking at this from the right perspective. I am sure this has been a scary week for you and I am glad you are getting everything all taken care of. You are right…you have plenty of chances! You wear that shirt with pride!

3. Siobhan says:

I’m so sorry you won’t be doing Boston this year. But I’m so glad that you have a fantastic surgeon and that you will recover and come back stronger. Wear that long sleeve with pride because you deserve it!

Feel better soon lady! xo

4. Love, love, love you. You DID earn that shirt and you WILL BQ again. There will be other Bostons but, there’s only one YOU and you need to take care of you.

I’ll miss you bunches, but, I couldn’t imagine if you’d come out to Boston and should happened there–oh my gosh! So much better that you’re safe and healthy so that you can run Boston in the future.

Sending you Texas sized hugs!

5. Mallory says:

Erin,
    I am so sorry to hear the news but very happy that you will be okay. Take your time and do what the doctors say. You have done such a great job and I hope that you can continue to have such a positive attitude. I know it must be so tough. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care!

Mallory

P.S. Yes, you WILL BQ again.

6. Lucas says:

You’ve got a lot of support from all your fans in the twitterverse, we’ll be pulling for you! Hope everything pans out and we’ll look forward to seeing you back on the roads and trails again soon. Good luck!

7. Jessica says:

I’m so very sorry you’re going to miss the marathon, my heart breaks for you. Like you said, I’m glad they caught the mass early and I hope you have a swift recovery from your surgery!

My thoughts and prayers are with you girl .

8. melon says:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmiloveyoummmmmmmmmmm

9. Susan says:

Hi, I’m a long-time lurker/reader of your blog and just wanted to say how rubbish it is that you can’t run this weekend especially after every thing that has gone in to getting to this point. You’re facing a completely different challenge now but you now know what you are dealing with and can face it head on. Remember that you are probably at your fittest physically at the moment meaning that you will recover very strongly from any medical procedures and surgeries than you have to go through. So the training wasn’t wasted, just put to use in a different way. Good Luck!

Erin, I am so sorry to read this. I know how hard you’ve trained for Boston. But you have the right attitude…there will be more Bostons, and right now you need to focus on yourself and being/getting healthy. You are in my thoughts and prayers :) Sending happy healing thoughts your way! And damn straight you earned your Boston shirt!!! <3 Mags

11. Tara says:

Oh Erin, I am so sorry to hear about this. You are absolutely right, there will be another Boston marathon for you in the future. Take care of yourself and your health, you only get one body. Of course, it still sucks to have to bag the race, but you have a great, positive attitude about the whole thing. Hang in there. :)
    I’ve dealt with similar issues over the last several months and know it’s scary to not know what is going on in your body. Take care and let us know how you are feeling!! Hugs.
    Tara

12. Ben Mordecai says:

So sorry to hear this!

Best wishes as you recover, and I am sure that this setback will make excellent motivation as you train for your next marathon.

13. Andrea says:

Sorry to hear this, but glad you’re in good hands. I’m sending out positive thoughts for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

14. Beth says:

Oh no!! I kind of want to cry for you, even though I’m just a random blog stalker. I am so sorry you are facing this challenge, and possibly even more sorry on its timing. I’m sending you boat loads of get well and recover fast vibes. I hope everything goes well. You will definitely BQ again. Hope to see you in Boston 2012.

15. Nicole says:

i’m so sorry hun! im thinking of you and praying for you. if there is anything i can do from afar, please dont hesitate to ask. xoxo

16. Sam F. says:

I don’t have anything else to say right now that I haven’t already told you.

17. I am SO sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care of yourself and you will definitely come back even stronger!!

18. Ron and Carol says:

Laura told us of your upcoming surgery and disappointment at not running Boston. You will recover, and you are so brave. More than brave, you are an inspiration to all who know you and your spirit to meet any challenge. After this bump in the road your knee can blog to your abdomen, “Hey six pack, I got her through the training to Boston in 2011, you can too, in 2012…. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.” Go Erin. You’re great.

19. Sarah says:

this makes me cry every time. all i have to say is i love you and i let out a big ol’ whoop whoop for you on boylston!

20. the dawn says:

i thought about you so many times while i was out there. i hope that the surgery goes well and that you are 100% recovered soon. prayers and hugs!

21. Jenny says:

Erin! I don’t know how I missed this! I am so sorry to hear that you weren’t able to run Boston (again, major miss on my part!) I’m so glad that you’re getting the care you need and being smart. Many more miles and marathons to come for you, lady!

1. Jenny says:

ok, phew. In hindsight, I really should have checked the date on this post :) Phew!