Seeking Boston Advice :)

It’s the peak of marathon training and I’d be lying if I said Boston isn’t on my mind almost all the time. It feels so real now. I spent a lot of weeks slowly building up my mileage after being injured, to get to where I’m at now, and it feels like I’m actually going to make it (knock on wood).

The great thing about Boston is the consistency. The course doesn’t change, there will always be people who’ve run it once, twice, ten times. It’s an event that brings both runners and spectators together every year. I’m really looking forward to meeting up with so many of you wonderful blogger friends that I’ve gotten to know over the year and a half that I’ve been blogging :)

I’m feeling physically prepared, but now I’m starting to mentally prepare myself for the real deal and this is where I want your help! If you’ve run Boston before, or know a thing or two about the experience, do you mind sharing a few pearls of wisdom? Experience is knowledge, and I want to soak up as much of your advice as I can before April 18th!

1. What’s the biggest advice you have about running the Boston marathon?

2. Temperature: how hot/cold/wet is it usually?

3. What clothes do you recommend wearing to the start (while you’re waiting around after getting off the buses)? Do you recommend staying warm before the start with a space blanket that you can just toss, or Good Will clothing that you can strip off and ditch?

4.  If you could have done anything differently, what would it have been?

5. Fuel belt: bring it or leave it?

6. In your opinion, what’s the most memorable part of the course? Why?

If there’s anything else advice-wise that comes to mind, please, don’t hesitate to let know me! I’m curious and excited and looking forward to hearing what all you runners have to say!

Thanks in advance!

1. Mallory says:

First of all, deep breath!!!! Second, I’ve never run Boston but I was there last year cheering people on, and I will be there again this year!! Last year most runners I saw had on tshirts/singlets and shorts. It was an overcast day and as a spectator I was cold, but it was perfect for running. I probably would have started with armwarmers at the beginning too. You will have an amazing time. Make sure to take it all in! What an accomplishment!

2. Sam F. says:

OK, here you go … I’ve run it the past three years …
    1. Be cautious going up the hills in Newton. Don’t worry about anybody else. Once you crest Heartbreak, you’ve got a fast track to the finish. But you want to be able to take advantage of that fast track. My first year, I took the hills too hard and I had to back off on my way in because I was about to cramp. I ended up with a 3:03:31 in that one. Could have been a sub-3. Also, lots of people say don’t go out too fast, but I like to go quick early on and take what the downhills give me. But I feel strong as a downhill runner. If you don’t, be cautious the first few miles. Oh, and don’t over-analyze it. You’ll talk to running nerds who talk about how to take every last turn and how to approach the firehouse … it’s a marathon. Run within yourself as fast as you can until you hit the finish line.

2. Last three years it’s been nice and cool. But you never know. It can get warm. It can get stormy. You won’t know until the last week or so when the forecast comes in.

3. Be prepared to be warm. I’ll have a sweatshirt and maybe some pants over my shorts if it’s too cold. You spend a fair amount of time up in Athletes Village. Be prepared to be sitting on grass. They usually have boxes they’ll give you to sit on. But you’ll have time to kill, no doubt.

4. Not taken the hills in Newton too hard the first year.

5. As long as you can carry your gels, leave it. Plenty of very well staffed aid stations on both sides of the street every mile or so. Maybe every two? I don’t know … there are plenty of aid stations, though.

6. The final stretch on Boylson. I just got goose bumps thinking about it. It’s absolutely awesome to run down that street that’s totally blocked off and so darn wide with so many people screaming so loud you can’t even think. Knowing that you earned your way to be on the inside of those barriers and you can see that finish line off in the distance and hearing all that noise … it’s just Awesome <– that's "awesome" with a capital a.

3. MissZippy1 says:

Biggest piece of advice–start slowly! The course has net downhill but most of that is at the front; the tendency is to take it out to fast. Your quads will take a beating and then you have the hills to make it up at the end.

Weather–can be anything, but there hasn’t been a hot one in a while, so be prepared for that–plus as you know, it starts later so the temps can be higher quite easily.

Don’t bring fuel belt–plenty of water/eletrolyte drinks out there

Wellesley College–you are not human if you don’t get chills when you approach it.You’ll hear it a mile out–the best part of the race!!

4. Nicole says:

Im excited for you sweets! when do you think youll be back to the mid west??? :)

5. the dawn says:

LOVE this post and the advice! can’t wait to run that race!!!

6. Keri says:

I’m a little late to this post but I’m glad because I was able to read the comments for advice. I obviously don’t have any advice because I’ve never run it but reading this gets me nervous/excited! Great questions!

7. Mebby says: