Excited for 18

This is where we’ll be running to tomorrow. My favorite spot on my favorite trail. A place I rarely ever get to, because it takes hours of trail running to reach. Weez and I are running 18 miles tomorrow – the second longest run I’ll be doing before the Boston marathon. I can’t believe it’s only 4 weeks away. It’s this dream that’s been floating around in my mind and heart for so many weeks, months, years and holy moly I can’t believe I’m a month away from actually BEING there. My heart just skipped a beat writing that sentence. I’m so excited.

18 miles is a long ways to go. I’m giddy with excitement. 18 miles is like an adventure, you know? You’re out there running for 3 hours, in the woods, on the trails, just soaking it all in. I’ve always always always loved the long runs. If I can stay injury free, I know in my heart I want to move on up to ultras. They’re where my heart and legs belong.

Tonight I’m going to make sure to get a nutritious dinner (we’re going to Olive Garden to celebrate an anniversary) and get to bed early. The weather in the AM is suppose to be sunny and high 40s. Perfection.

Oh, I also bought new running shoes this morning! I’ve been a Nike gal my whole running life but with the ITB problems and orthotics and blister issues I’ve had/been having, I decided to change it up. I went to the Boulder Running Co to have my stride analyzed in different shoes and we found a new pair that should work well for me. They’re called Brooks Defyance and I’m looking forward to testing them out.

How often do you buy new running shoes?
Are you running long this weekend? How far are you going?
Do you have a favorite spot to run?

Have a great weekend! See ya on Monday!

1. Jodi Higgins says:

Have a great run tomorrow! I will be running 18 on Sunday. My usual running partner had a scheduling conflict so I will be going at it solo unless someone comments on my facebook post about a running partner. I turn in my running shoes every 500 miles. I don’t really have a favorite spot to run, I just love to run outside!!

2. felog says:

Good luck tomorrow! What is the location of that trail? BoCo?

~felog

1. Felog~ Yep! These are the Marshall Mesa trails in SoBoCo :)

Have fun on your run tomorrow! 18 miles is no small feat! Speaking of ‘feet’ I run in Brooks Ghost3 and LOVE them! They are by far my favorite shoes I’ve ever run in! Brooks are great (and the only eco-friendly shoe with a biodegradeable midsole!). Have a great weekend!

4. Nicole says:

I need new shoes about every 300-400 miles!!! enjoy!! :)

5. fiberliza says:

Hey, so fun to find your blog! I am doing 17 this weekend and 23 next weekend as I trainup for Boston as well! Then TAPER!!!! AHHHHHHH!!! And I will be running in my trusty Adrenalines. I have been a Brooks girl from day 1. I get about 450-500 miles on a pair. Have a blast on your long run! Your training route looks wonderfully desert :)

Fiberliza from the rainy Pacific Northwest.

6. Ben Mordecai says:

Man that looks like an awesome setting for an 18 mile run!

7. melon says:

First off, you would buy a pair of shoes named “defyance”, I’m sure they suit/fit you well.

To answer your questions:
    1) Just bought a pair on Monday! Asics 21XX, purple with lime green streaks. Usually every 12-18 weeks, depending on mileage and what kind of surface I’m running on (hellooooo concrete paradise).

2) I just ran for 60 minutes and I wondered how I ever trained for and completed two marathons. Def NOT in shape :(

3) Knoch. Knolls. Midweek, on a late summer evening.

Muah!

8. Mallory says:

Hope the 18 went well!! I get new shoes every few months but I am rotating 3 pairs plus my trail shoes right now! That works pretty well for me!!