Letting my mind wander

I spent a good deal of my swim this morning thinking about this picture. And how much I loved this weekend of my life. 2 friends and I went backpack camping on the Great Sand Dunes National Park two summers ago. This place is incredible. 150,000 acres of sand dunes, surrounded by 13,000ft mountains. It really took my breathe away.

I remember walking along the ridges, thinking about life and letting my mind wander. I remember thinking about how free we were out there. As far as our eyes could see, it was just us. It was invigorating and liberating and peaceful.
We swam a lot of yards today. The most I’ve ever swam to date: 4000 yrds. That’s a lot of time spent in your head, just thinking, just breathing. I let my mind wander back to those dunes and how peaceful it felt to be out there. The laps flew by.

I love how the water feels when I’ve found my “stride”, and my stroke feels effortless and my breathing is relaxed. I feel strong.

I hope to find my inner zen during my long run this weekend. I’m breaking into the double digits for the first time in 8 months.

11 miles… I can’t wait :)

1. Sam F. says:

You totally Photoshopped those … places like that don’t really exist.

Good luck on the run this weekend!

2. Mallory says:

I love those pictures! How beautiful! It is nice when you can just get into the zone and really enjoy the workout. Congrats!

3. the dawn says:

wow, i can say that i’m jealous you were able to find that kind of zen whilst swimming. i imagine that it can be relaxing…however i’ve never experienced it. running, yes. that’s where i feel my peace, when everything clicks into place.

4. LauraJ says:

That was an awesome trip. The pics kinda make it look like a dream.

5. Marcia says:

Beautiful pics. Enjoy your run!

6. nicole says:

wow those pics are so beautiful! im totally digging them!