Doctor’s Orders, Part 2

Two weeks ago, I decided to go back to PT for my knee, which lead me to a sports medicine doc, which lead me to an MRI. And I got those results back yesterday.

Much to my (and his) relief, there’s nothing seriously damaged (scar tissue, tears, etc.) with my knee. This is fantastic news because that means I don’t need surgery (win!). I told the doc where exactly the pain is when I run now – it’s moved from the outside area to under my knee cap and behind my knee. He said this injury is common and the first thing I need to do is stop running 100% for 6 weeks. I’m allowed to swim and cycle but running is off limits. He also said that I need to go back to physical therapy, to focus on strengthening my hips/gluts and modifying my biomechanics, which will take the stress off my knee.

So off to PT I go again, I really hope this helps because I’ve got a big decision ahead of me… The Boston Marathon opens its registration on October 18th (4 weeks). I won’t even be running at that point but I hear registration fills up real quick. Do I take the gamble and spend the money to register, in hopes of being able to start training on Dec. 1? I guess we’ll see what happens in the next few weeks.

1. Sam says:

YES, you register for The Boston Marathon! You don’t need to start training by December 1. You could probably start training in February and complete the race. You need to go run the race since you earned it, even if it’s not a PR kind of day for you. You earned the right to run that course and you need to go soak it all up.

1. e410 says:

Thanks Sam, you’re right… even if I can’t race it hard, it’ll be a great experience to be out there anyways. Maybe I’ll go for it :)

2. Will says:

Well I imagine you know what I’ll say – double down and go for it. Also does this mean I’ll have a riding buddy again?

3. Rand says:

Erin, you know my vote! I’ll see you in Boston- laced up and ready to go. Dad

4. pearl says:

Register! Flights to Boston from Denver are cheap and no one in Boston cares if you finish in 3:40 or 4:30.

5. Ally says:

Do it. Do it. You earned that spot girl, you owe it to yourself to run it. Even if it doesn’t end up being your best race ever (but, I suspect that it totally will be!)–you have to do it!