It doesn’t take long post-race to get the itch back. That, “when’s the next race?”, bug. The next big thing. Fortunately for us, we live in Oregon, a state known for its plethora of gorgeous, competitive races.
Our next Big Thing criteria were:
1. Marathon. Weez and I are both excited to get after those longer, long runs (LRs) and chase after some serious distance again.
2. Local. We’re tying to save vacation days and benjamins for the next big travel thing, so we wanted to keep a race low cost and no days off work.
3. Sweet venue. Gotta be somewhere cool. New and different outside our usual trails and city limits.
4. Fast. I’m a sucker for a good, hard training cycle with tons of speed work and sweat-in-your-eyeball kinds of workouts. My PR is 3:20 (can we see teens?). We wanted a race we could really turn on the heat and crank out some fast miles.
5. Spring race. We’re ready to start training now.
It didn’t take 5 minutes on the internet before a clear winner came to view.
Enter, the Eugene Marathon.
May 10, 2015.
The race literally ends on the home stretch of the historic, infamous Hayward Field. Home to the University of Oregon track program, Prefonaine Classic, and many USATF Championships and Olympic Trials. Legends have raced there. PRE raced there. I mean, no biggie or anything.
So here’s to a healthy, dedicated training cycle ahead!
18 weeks, baby!
Who wants to join us?!?
What’s on deck for you?
Anyone run Eugene before?